Thursday, January 07, 2010

Sandra posts about Kathleen Givens

As mentioned at Kathleen Givens's website, "Kathleen passed away in early January 2010" and there have already been a number of posts written by people who knew and loved her and her works. Sandra, in her post at Unusual Historicals, writes that Givens's Kilgannon
was one of the first romances I read as romance fiction (I had read Victoria Holt and Penelope Williamson before, but had thought them historical novels), and I still remember how thrilled I was to have found a genre of historical fiction where heroines are strong and happy endings are guaranteed. And so Kilgannon became one of the books that inspired me to write my first romance novel.

In 2005 I was working on a paper on the depiction of Scotland in American romance novels and decided to use Kilgannon as my main example. I contacted Kathleen and she graciously agreed to answer a few questions about the book. [...] She was a great author and a wonderful person, and I will miss her very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment